As of June 15, 2015, the Carlisle Medical Centre is happy to welcome our new registered dietitian, Shira Becker. Information about her hours and nutrition counseling are found below.
Our registered dietitian sees patients on a referral basis from the Carlisle Medical Centre’s physicians and provides a full range of nutrition counseling. Self-referrals are welcome. The dietitian will work in collaboration with your health care team to ensure the best quality care.
The goal of our dietitian, as part of our multi-disciplinary healthcare team, is to provide nutritional counseling to prevent disease and promote good health.
A registered dietitian can help you:
- Learn how to read food labels
- Choose healthier options on a limited income or when eating on the run
- Maintain a healthy body weight and lifestyle
- Manage existing health problems and optimize health, for:
- High Blood Pressure
- Gastrointestinal Issues (Reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Celiac Disease, Food Intolerances)
- Prenatal and Infant Nutrition
- Vegetarianism or Sports Nutrition
You can see the dietitian by yourself or with your family. Your dietitian can provide one-time or on-going support to help you achieve your goals. An emphasis is placed on healthy eating habits and lifestyle changes as the cornerstones to reducing risks and preventing/controlling diseases.
Before seeing the dietitian, you may be asked to write down what you eat for a few days and bring that to your appointment. Initial appointments are usually 1 hour in length, and follow up appointments are typically 30 minutes. Together, you and your dietitian will develop a plan to help you reach your goals. Depending on your goals you may continue to see the dietitian for 6-12 months.